The SALT Committee began in and meets on a monthly basis at the Police Department. Each month this group discusses issues in the City affecting seniors and any upcoming community events. In addition, they discuss crime data comparisons with other communities, traffic concerns, neighborhood issues and police response. SALT has served as a forum for community problem solving and direct input to police and city services. The Chief of Police provides updates to the residents with information regarding scams and other crimes in the area.
The following programs continue to be implemented:
- Conduct well-being checks on registered seniors
- Share information on recent scams/cases in the area
- Distribute beacon emergency lights to residents.
- Assist Fire Department with administering Knox Box program for seniors.
- Distribute “no soliciting” labels for residents.
- Host annual senior luncheon at Wood Dale Park District in June.
- Assist with National Night Out event in August.
- Attend Park District’s annual Senior Resource Fair
- Distribute copy of driver safety classes for seniors’ insurance discounts from AARP. Provide an officer to assist in class.
- Provide crime prevention tips and training.
If you might be interested in joining the S.A.L.T. program, please email Chief Greg Vesta.